This is the site for CAI PNW, a subsection of the Pisa section of the Italian Alpine Club. Members of CAI PNW share with Pisa members the benefits of membership in the Italian Alpine Club. These include participation in CAI outings, discounts at alpine huts in Europe, and accident rescue insurance within the alpine areas of Europe.
Those with a yen to travel to Italy for alpine walks, climbs and outdoor adventure will benefit from membership. The extensive range of club sections in Italy offers many opportunities for rambling, hiking, bicycling, rock climbing, caving, randonee skiing, and cross country skiing.
A program of outings in the Seattle area provides contact with fellow Italy fans. This mixing of Italy enthusiasts includes experienced travelers who are excellent resources for traveling in Italy and elsewhere.
CAI-PNW is a subsection of Pisa of the Italian Alpine Club (Club Alpino Italiano). CAI-PNW was started in 2002, after an exchange between the Seattle Mountaineers and CAI Pisa. Since then CAI-PNW and CAI Pisa members have enjoyed numerous exchanges and trips together. Members of CAI- PNW share the benefits of membership in the Italian Alpine Club. These include participation in CAI outings, discounts at alpine huts in Europe, and accident rescue insurance within the alpine areas of Europe.
A program of outings in the Seattle area provides contact with fellow Italy fans. This mixing of Italy enthusiasts includes experienced travelers who are excellent resources for traveling in Italy and elsewhere. CAI-PNW sponsors hikes and other activities in the Pacific Northwest as well as exchanges and trips to Italy and other countries.
CAI-PNW is listed as a Nonprofit Corporation by the State of Washington and is classified as a 503 C 7, social club. We depend on volunteers to serve as officers, hike leaders and hosts for international guests. Volunteers also organize events and work on special projects for our Club.
Mission, Goals & Objectives
Club Alpino Italiano (CAI), Italian Hiking Club, Pacific Northwest Subsection of Pisa, is an organization dedicated to promoting the knowledge, study, protection and enjoyment of the mountains, the natural environment and cultures, especially of the Pacific Northwest and Italy.
CAI-PNW Subsection will provide activities that encourages members
- To learn about and experience the mountains of the Pacific Northwest and beyond
- To learn about and experience the culture, people, history and mountains of Italy
- To share the wealth of mountaineering opportunities and Pacific Northwest culture with CAI members from Italy
In order to accomplish our goals and fulfill our mission, CAI-PNW will
- Promote and organize hiking and cultural exchanges in the Italian and other mountains
- Promote, organize and host hiking and cultural exchanges for CAI-Italy members to visit the Pacific Northwest and beyond
- Plan with other CAI sections for joint mountaineering and cultural events
- Encourage members to lead hikes and other outdoor activities
- Encourage and provide opportunities for social activities
- Promote alpinism in any form including hiking, rock climbing, walking, skiing, caving and other activities
- Maintain a web site where individuals can gather information about the organization and its activities
- Encourage membership involvement in other Italian organizations in the Pacific Northwest such as Dante Alighieri and Festa Italiana
- Work with other outdoor organizations, such as The Mountaineers in planning activities of mutual interest